Men’s Health Week 13-19 June 2016
Every three hours one New Zealand man dies of a preventable illness. This has got to change and the good news is that you can change it! Challenge your mates this Men’s Health Week to get proactive and complete for the best health score. It’s simple, quick, free and here. Blackmore’s What’s Your Score.
Get a free men’s Pit Stop Health Check at your local Unichem or Life Pharmacy. Bring in your completed survey so you can talk to your pharmacist about your results and get a free blood pressure check too! Your pharmacist can also make further recommendations to you on how to look after your health. Waiting could cost you the race!
Small steps to big changes. Healthy eating and just 30 minutes of daily exercise can prevent some cancers, depression, type 2 diabetes and increase your overall wellness. Build your healthy foundations by reducing portion sizes, fats, salt sugar and alcohol and see how much better you feel for it! If you are stressed or your diet is not up to scratch a multivitamin can help.
Each year a different cause is highlighted through Men’s Health Week and this year we have selected New Zealand’s fastest growing health crisis, diabetes. Diabetes New Zealand’s messaging is in alignment with the messages of Men’s Health Week. Healthy diet, regular exercise and regular health checks.
Some alarming statistics about diabetes in New Zealand:
- There are 40 new diabetes diagnoses in New Zealand every day
- one in four New Zealanders are estimated to have pre-diabetes
- a person’s risk of progressing from prediabetes to type 2 diabetes can be roughly halved if they lose weight, change their diet, increase exercise and/or have drug treatment
- approximately 90% of diabetes in New Zealand is type 2, which for many people can be prevented or delayed through healthier lifestyle choices.
Diabetes New Zealand encourages Small Steps to Big Changes:
- Reduce weight
- be active 30 minutes or more most days of the week
- eat healthy food
- achieve and maintain good control of your blood pressure and blood cholesterol
- get an annual heart and diabetes check from a health professional.